• Classroom practices highlighted by building and district administration.
• Designed cooperative learning lesson plans.
• Designed school wide SEL participation lesson plan.
• Developed Visual Thinking Strategies into daily warm up activities.
• Upcycled materials to expand student experience.
• Developed a focus in middle school art on divergent to convergent thinking in the art making process.
• Used non verbal direction to gain student attention and give direction.
• Taught AP Drawing.
• Directed Dunbar Winter Art Expo and an interactive Spring Art Show.
• Sought our art opportunities outside of school building for students.
• Practiced and received training for Positive Behavior Interventions & Supports (PBIS)
• Cleaned and organized tools and materials left behind from the previous 25 years into stations allowing students to be in charge of tools and materials.
• Successfully created cooperative learning projects.
• Offered Art Club during lunch hour.
• Worked closely with special education teachers and counselors to develop rigorous and engaging lessons.
• DC Grant recipient to attend NAEA Conference.
• Chosen to attend the 2020 Michigan Association for Computer Users in Learning (MACUL) Conference for professional learning.
• Served as a board member at The James Memorial Art Center for 3 years.
• Participated in student/teacher basketball and talent show.
• Clear and prevalent supporter of BLM & LGBTQ.
• Designed and ran my own summer youth golf program.
• Competed in a “Shark Tank” style competition through Washtenaw Community College.
• Grant recipient to attend NAEA Conference.
• Student quotes:
“Go see Mr. Westby, he’s always got something good to say about our art.”
S1: “Who’s that?” S2: “That’s my mans Mr. Westby.”
“You really do listen to us.”
*student pops out of store “Hey Mr. Westby.”